SymptomsCustomer subscribed to Hosted Exchange services and created mailbox in POA CCP.
Later customer removed mailbox in their POA CCP, all tasks were successfully processed in POA, mailbox is not shown in customer CP anymore.
However, mailbox was not removed from Exchange server, it is still shown in the list of disconnected mailboxes as shown on the screenshot:
Such behaviour if fully controlled by Exchange server, POA does not manage it.
When you remove or disable Exchange mailbox, the data stored in the Exchange mailbox database is no longer associated with the user account in Active Directory and becomes a disconnected mailbox.
There are two operations which can be performed on a disconnected mailbox:
- Connect it to an existing user account in Active Directory
- Permanently delete it from the Exchange mailbox database
Exchange retains disconnected mailboxes in the mailbox database based on the deleted mailbox retention policy configured per mailbox database. After the specified retention period, a disconnected mailbox is permanently deleted from the Exchange mailbox database.
Provider may manage deleted mailbox retention policy using e.g. Exchange Management Console:
- Run Start > All Programs > Microsoft Exchange Server > Exchange Management Console
- Go to Server Configuration > Mailbox
- Right click on needed mailbox database and select 'Properties'
- Switch to the tab 'Limits' in the opened window
Set desired values in the section 'Deletion settings' for the parameters (see screenshot):
- Keep deleted items for (days)
- Keep deleted mailboxes for (days)