SymptomsWhen you try to open "Explorer View" (in "Shared Documents," for example) in the WSS3 site (created on Windows Server 2008 with IIS7), then the browser will request your credentials in an endless loop. After you click "Cancel," the browser will display an error saying that the content cannot be displayed.
CauseThe WebDAV module installed on the IIS7 server conflicts with WSS's built-in WebDAV module.
ResolutionThere are two ways to solve the issue.
1. A server-wide solution, which may be applied only on a server with no "pure" IIS Shared Hosting sites created (only WSS sites will be created on the server):
- Launch IIS7 Manager
- Remove WebDAV from "Handler Mappings" on service level
- Remove WebDAVModule from "Modules" on service level
2. A site-level solution (must be applied to each WSS site):
- Launch IIS7 Manager and open IIS site you are going to fix
- Remove WebDAV module from "Handler Mappings"
- Remove WebDAVModule from "Modules"
- Find application pool used for the site and recycle it