(starting with 2.5 version
available for Unix and Windows based accounts;
for versions lower than 2.5 - for Unix based accounts only)
The simplest way to authorize your friends or colleagues to work with particular directories of your account is to create FTP subaccounts. An FTP subaccount is a combination of a username and a password, which gives full FTP permissions to a single directory, without giving access to the root directory, other directories or the control panel. No dedicated IP is required for FTP subaccounts. Although each FTP subaccount has a login which is different from yours, both have the same ID in the system.
To create a new FTP subaccount:
- Select FTP User link in FTP/User Account menu.
- At the bottom of the page that shows, find FTP sub-accounts (or System accounts in H-Sphere 2.5.1 and up) and click the Add icon.
- On the next page, enter the FTP login and password that will be used
by this other user, and the directory this user will be restricted to.
The directory must be relative to your home directory. If you leave the directory field empty, FTP sub-users will have access to your whole home directory.
- FTP subaccount's directory can be multi-level nested subdirectory relative to your home directory.
- For Windows accounts you must use the "\" character as a delimiter in the path.
- Before H-Sphere 2.5, leading slash is required (e.g., /domain.com/dir/subdir). In H-Sphere 2.5 and up, you must not add the leading slash (domain.com/dir/subdir - Unix, domain.com\dir\subdir - Windows).
- In H-Sphere 2.5.1, when creating FTP subaccounts you can also make the FTP subuser being set up a SharePoint user. For this, on the first step check Allow sharepoint access as well and enter SharePoint settings.
FTP subaccount traffic is a part of the Total/Summary traffic, but you can always see how much FTP traffic has been run up by an individual FTP subaccount by going to the FTP Manager page and clicking the Edit icon next to the subaccount login.
Windows FTP-subaccounts work only if Webshell version is 4.3.2 and up.