There are two opened payments from PayPal Express (or similar redirect payment method), by description they were created for the same order/invoice, but only the latter is attached and allowed an order to be processed/invoice to be closed.
Most probably that happened due to customer steps similar to below:
- an order/invoice was chosen to be paid by Paypal;
- redirect window to PayPal was opened;
- instead of completing the payment in a newly opened browser tab, the customer clicked
View Payment Details > Unpaid Orders and Invoicesand attempted to pay the same document again. At this step the first document had been detached from the order (actually cancelled) and the second one attached;
- the customer did not close the newly opened browser tab (redirect from the step 2), but completed the payment there. The payment status in BA also changed to completed (after getting confirmation from PayaPal). This step however did not allow an order to be moved from WP status (as this payment had been earlier detached from the order);
- the customer completed the second payment.
A Feature Request ID #PBA-68984 ("Possibility to have several PayPal payments for one order") was created to change system behaviour (e.g. closing the opened browser tab on payment cancellation, so that the customer is not able to complete the first payment).