SymptomsOn attempt to send message in PBA Provider Control Panel at Communication Director > Message Manager > Message Log submenu, exception is thrown: "Can not connect to SMTP server".
CauseSMPT server is installed along with IIS web server. SMTP service is configured to be run manually by default. Thus, the primary cause is SMTP server is not run at the moment.
ResolutionIt is recommended to set up SMTP service to be run automatically on system start up.
To reconfigure SMTP service:
- Log in to PBA production server under user with adminitrative privilege.
- Right-click on My Computer icon on your desktop and select Manage from the drop-down menu. Computer management window opens.
- Open Services and Applications > Services submenu.
- Find Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) service.
- Right-click on the service and select Properties from the drop-down menu. Service properties window opens.
- Select Automatic option from the Startup type list.
- Click Ok to confirm changes.