This article applies to those users who are using Microsoft Internet Explorer, and who get the following error while trying to access a "non HTML" page (for example, a zip file) from a subdomain via. the web.
When Internet Explorer tries to access a non-HTML file on a subdomain, for example, http://sub.domain.com/foobar.zip , then it may error out with the following message: "Internet Explorer was not able to open this Internet site. The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later."
The reason this happens, is because the "Vary" HTTP header, which is sent by the Apache Rewrite Rules, causes Internet Explorer to break.
More details about this are available here
In case this happens, please do the following on the WEBppliance server:
- Log in as root to the WEBppliance server
- Assume that siteN is the site whose subdomain is causing this problem (The sitelookup command shows you this information)
- create a new file /etc/httpd/conf/siteN/subdomain_custom, and place the following line in it:
BrowserMatch MSIE force-no-vary
- Now restart your Apache server (/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd restart)
- The problem should now be solved.
Note:The use of this directive will cause all responses from siteN to be HTTP 1.0 responses for the Internet Explorer browser