The purpose of this article is to describe the recommended method to migrate from WEBppliance Pro for Linux to Ensim Pro for Fedora. All users of WEBppliance Pro for Linux who want to move to Ensim Pro for Fedora must use this method. There is no 'in-box' upgrade available. This method requires the use of an additional server that will become the Ensim Pro for Fedora server.
- source: The WEBppliance Pro for Linux system that sites will be migrated from.
- target: The Ensim Pro for Fedora system that sites will be migrated onto.
- authoritative name server: A name server registered with a domain Registry that will typically answer queries about domains under its authority.
Ensim Pro and Fedora OS Install
For information on how to install Ensim Pro and Fedora OS, please review the following documents
Domain Users should not have a period(.) in thier names or start with uppercase characters. This limitation is due to the changed behaviour of the useradd program provided by Fedora. You will have to modify the users before taking backups to restore on Ensim Pro Servers.
On both the the source and target servers, you should ensure that postgres and mysql databases are running properly. Confirm that they can both be stopped and started with no errors. The database servers should be running when you perform the backups with the WEBppliance Pro for Linux backup utility.
IP Address of Sites
If the IP address of your sites will be changing and DNS for the sites are handled by an external DNS server, then you will need to perform the updates required on your external DNS server to change the IP address as required.
If your source is an authoritative name server for domains, then you will need to consider what this will mean for your domains when you migrate them. If the IP address of your name server will change, then you will need to make arrangements with the domain registry to change your name server IP address, otherwise your domains will not resolve when you shutdown the source server.
You should disable quotas on the target server prior to restore. Some default applications that are installed in Ensim Pro for Fedora sites use more disk space than WEBppliance Pro for Linux. If quotas are not disabled, then restore may fail for some or all sites. After sites are restored, then you can enable quotas, however, you may need to resolve issues with some sites over quota as a result of the migration.
- Turn disable quotas, as root from a shell
- To enable quotas, as root from a shell run command:
The steps involved on the source server:
- Perform backup of critical data before utilizing this method. Depending on your needs, this could be as much as Full System Backup (all files on all drives), or as little as a WEBppliance Backup.
- Use WEBppliance Backup utility to backup your sites. Please refer to the WEBppliance Administrator's Help for details on how to backup.
- Make a note of the FTP server target details you used for Backup.
- Make additional backup of customizations that are not backed up by the WEBppliance Backup Utility. Refer to WEBppliance Administrator's Help for details of what is backed up and not backed up.
- Install Ensim Pro for Fedora Linux on the target
- Apply your Ensim Pro and PowerTools licenses. If you will be shutting down your source server within 30 days after migration, then you may use your licenses from the source server and apply to your target server. Ensim Pro will accept WEBppliance Pro for Linux and PowerTools licenses.
- Disable quotas
- Use WEBppliance Restore utility to restore your sites. Please refer to the WEBppliance Administrator's Help for details on how to restore.
- Specify the FTP server you made backups to as the server from which to retrieve backup files.
- Reapply any customizations that are not backed up by the WEBppliance Backup utility.
- Enable quotas