POA tasks to provision services through the MPS (Microsoft Provisioning System) fail with the following error message:
SQL Server does not exist or access denied.
There may be many reasons of the problem:
- MS SQL services are stopped on the server where the MPS database is located
- The server where the MPS database is locate stuck or is down
- No connectivity between the MPS Provisioning Engine server and MPS database server
- Make sure that the MPS database server is up and running.
- Login to the server where the MPS database is located.
- Open Start > Administrative Tools > Services
Make sure that the following services are started, start them if necessary:
- SQL Server
- SQL Server Agent
Check if the MPS database server is reachable from the MPS Provisioning Engine server (if these services are deployed on different servers) and the TCP port 1433 is open in firewall for connections between these two servers, e.g. use the 'telnet' utility on the MPS Proisioning Engine server to check connectivity:
telnet MPS_DB_SERVER 1433
replace MPS_DB_SERVER with the actual IP of the MPS database server.