This article provides best practices and use cases for troubleshooting issues with a Plesk for Linux migration. Each section of this article contains cross-references to the relevant Odin Knowledgebase (KB) articles for that particular stage of the migration process.
Helpful information relating to Plesk for Windows can be found in the following KB article:
- 113590 Plesk for Windows: Migration Best Practices and Usecases
Table of contents
- Server preparation prerequisites
- Migrating between different versions of Plesk
- Mass migration
- Migration from different platforms
- Manual migration hints and tips
- Logs and log collector
- Connectivity issues
- Missing something?
- Error revealed
Refer to the articles below:
- 2112 How must a Plesk server be prepared for migration?
- 117069 How to migrate domains that use custom DNS template
- 121027 Migration between Redhat and Debian
Before migrating between different versions of Plesk, see:
- 5969 How do you migrate Plesk 9 and 10 using GUI Backup Manager?
- 115705 [FAQ] Is it possible to migrate from Plesk for Windows to Plesk for Linux and vice versa?
If you want to perform a mass migration, consider using the migration script described here:
- 113283 Plesk Mass Migration Script
Before migrating from a different control panel, be sure to read the following KB articles:
- 6337 How to migrate mail from non-PP hosting server to Plesk
- 119740 How to migrate Confixx 3 to Plesk
- 115612 Migrating from cPanel to Plesk
- 123846 PHP with FastCGI does not function in Plesk for CloudLinux after migration from cPanel on some sites
If a manual transfer is required (for mail content, a complete server after a crash, database moving, etc.), refer to the following sources:
- 112699 How to restore a Plesk installation on the new server after a disaster
- 3072 How do I restore Plesk from the hard disk drive if the Operating System is broken and the HDD with the old OS and Plesk is mounted in the new system?
- 1152 How to migrate Plesk data manually with Plesk Migration Manager
- 6518 How to migrate local database between Plesk servers manually (applicable for versions 8.x and 9.x)
- 6158 How to migrate Сalendar, Personal Address Book, and Horde Webmail preferences manually
- 5882 How to migrate Plesk and SiteBuilder content and retain Plesk and SiteBuilder integration (applicable for versions 8.x and 9.x)
In order to troubleshoot an issue with logs, refer to the following KB article:
- 9679 Structure of Plesk Migration Manager (PMM) logs and PMM logs collector
Sometimes, migrating to another server is not possible due to connectivity problems between servers. Please refer to the following articles to check whether this is the case:
- 5857 Plesk Migration Manager is missing in Plesk 9.0 (applicable for version 9.0)
- 8495 Migration does not start: “Error: No migration agents found. Data migration is not available”
- 807 I am trying to use Migration Manager to transfer my accounts to Plesk for UNIX server but get "connection failed" error
- 111131 How to prevent mail users from seeing other users in control panel
- 11213 Migration of mail users to Plesk 10 fails with error "Unrecognized option: '-passwd_type'"
- 114489 Mail backup takes too much time to restore
From time to time, you may encounter difficulties with migration due to some missing elements. The following resources will help you troubleshoot such scenarios:
- 111810 Since "tar" is run under FTP user, files created with PHP scripts are lost from migration backup
- 6627 SSL certificate from server repository is not migrated
- 113497 Application entry point changed after migration
- 9522 Crontab secure shell is incorrectly configured after migration
- 9523 Shell description is missing from crontab files after migration
- 111193 Plesk API doesn't add forwarding addresses on mailbox creation
- 113065 DNS records pointing to external IP addresses are missing after migration
- 8931 Wrong certificate is assigned to the domain after migration (applicable for versions prior to 10.x)
- 7001 During migration to Plesk 9.2.3, character "\" is doubled in mail account's password
- 9421 Domain content is not migrated from Plesk on FreeBSD
- 113039 "
fsDomain" parameter is not defined in "
- 115888 Older version of Webalizer on destination server may cause statistics to stop working after migration.
Periodically, an error may occur within the log files or Plesk user interface messages. In these cases, the following articles may be useful:
121048 Cannot create domain in Plesk: There are no available resources of this type (domains) left. Requested: 1; available: 0.
Failed deployment of domain domain.tld Execution of /opt/psa/admin/plib/api-cli/domain.php --create domain.tld -owner admin -do-not-apply-skeleton -notify false -guid b55020df-b7a3-4ecc-824e-2bdfb9dab685 -creation-date 2011-09-17 -ignore-nonexistent-options failed with return code 1. Stderr is An error occurred during domain creation: There are no available resources of this type (domains) left. Requested: 1; available: 0.
123174 Restore is too slow. CLI Gate interface usage: transfer closed with outstanding read data remaining
INFO: FailedDomainDeployment[8b8adf25-291f-4e3b-8624-63c3a4989bba]: Failed deployment of domain domain.tld [./domain_deploy.cpp:410] void plesk::tDomainDeployer::operator()(plesk::XmlNode) const Inner exception: ExecCliGate::GateError[a0116883-7cd4-42c8-8f90-08c786e41318]: Error during CLI Gate interface usage: transfer closed with outstanding read data remaining [./cmd_exec.cpp:192]
119499 Plesk Backup Manager loads a long time and then fails with error Nginx 504 Gateway Time Out
2014/01/07 16:49:33 [error] 3235#0: *1483 upstream timed out (110: Connection timed out) while reading response header from upstream, client: 18.104.22.168, server: , request: "GET /plesk/server/backup/local-repository/ HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://unix:/var/run/sw-engine.sock", host: "22.214.171.124:8443", referrer: "https://126.96.36.199:8443/admin/server/tools?context=tools"
121150 Insufficient disk space on the source server to store temporary files for transfer.
Insufficient disk space on the source server to store temporary files for transfer. Available: 16868 MB. Required: 109833 MB. Please free disk space on the source server.
122838 Migrating to Plesk 12 on Centos 7 shows warning: python is not supported
python is not supported
111758 Migration of domains fails with IP conflict
Unable to change the subscription owner: Required option "-map_ip [,]" is not set.
6349 Migration fails with error: pmm utility "migration_handler" raised an exception. Error code is: 1
pmm utility "migration_handler" raised an exception. Error code is: 1
6247 Domain cannot be migrated with error "Unable to create system user: usermng: PAM password change failed: 20, Authentication token manipulation error"
An error occurred during domain update: error in hosting updating: Unable to update hosting preferences: system user update is failed: Unable to create system user: usermng: PAM password change failed: 20, Authentication token manipulation error
5271 Migration fails with the "Some fields are empty or contain an improper value" message
Error: Some fields are empty or contain an improper value.
6019 Migration fails with error "Specified key was too long; max key length is 1000 bytes"
Runtime error during db: (1, '', 'ERROR 1071 (42000) at line 323: Specified key was too long; max key length is 1000 bytes\n')
830 When using the PMM to migrate Plesk data from FreeBSD, I receive this error after selecting the accounts to transfer:
readResponse|handle 1|(14) data[Error: unable to connect to database: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket$
112879 Migration and backup fails with unclear error: "Object has been excluded from restore" (applicable for versions 10.x)
Object has been excluded from restore
6262 Migration fails with error "minimal value <= current value <= maximal value (!= 0)"
Unable execute MigrationWait::make(): Unable to create bar: assigned values not like "minimal value <= current value <= maximal value (!= 0)
8682 Migration fails with the error: Password should not be longer than 14 symbols (applicable for versions 8.x, 9.x)
Password should not be longer than 14 symbols
112964 Migration fails with error "Unable to create dump"
Error: pmm utility migration_handler" raised an exception. Error code is: 1 See pmmcli.log to find out detailed information on this
112891 Database migration fails because MySQL dump is generated in wrong format
ERROR: (hosting object '<any domain with attached database>') Failed deployment of database <name of database> (domain <any domain with attached database>) ERROR: () Execution of /usr/bin/mysql --no-defaults -u admin -h localhost -P 3306 <name of database> failed with return code 1. Stdin is source <temporary path to backup file>; exit Stderr is ERROR 1064 (42000) at line 4 in file: "<temporary path to backup file>5": You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near -------------------------------------------------------
112873 Subscription migration fails with error "Assertion failed: files.size() == 1"
Assertion failed: files.size() == 1
1253 I get this error during migration from Plesk server: "Illegal mix of collations"
Illegal mix of collations
112686 Cannot migrate client due to error: "Wrong syntax for command's '-phone' parameter"
ERROR: (client object "testclient") Execution of /opt/psa/admin/plib/api-cli/client.php --update testclient -phone +44.466032321 -city Testcity -address Test\ 66\ bus\ 4 -company Testcompany -country GB -zip 1234 -state Test failed with return code 1. Stderr is Unable to update a user account: Wrong syntax for command's "-phone" parameter.
113550 Plesk migration from source server with OpenSUSE fails with RsyncContent.pm errors
== STDERR ==================== Cannot request remote agent status using command line /var/cache/20110902132102493/PleskX.pl: Assertion ((svtype)((_svi)->sv_flags & 0xff)) == SVt_IV || ((svtype)((_svi)->sv_flags & 0xff)) >= SVt_PVIV failed: file "op.c", line 4161 at RsyncContent.pm line 260. Compilation failed in require at Packer.pm line 10. BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Packer.pm line 10. Compilation failed in require at StopWatchPacker.pm line 8. BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at StopWatchPacker.pm line 8. Compilation failed in require at PleskX.pm line 135. BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at PleskX.pm line 135. Compilation failed in require at /var/cache/20110902132102493/PleskX.pl line 8. BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /var/cache/20110902132102493/PleskX.pl line 8. ==============================
111703 Domain migration fails with error "Object not found" (applicable for versions prior 10.4)
Stderr is Object not found: Domain TestDomain.com
112872 Migration from Confixx fails with error "Failed deployment of prot.directory /testdir (domain *.wildcardtest.tld)"
Failed deployment of prot.directory /testdir (domain *.wildcardtest.tld)
115598 Default value of MySQL global variable "wait_timeout" on Source or/and Destination server can interrupt migration with error "MySQL server gone away"
MySQL server gone away
124134 Domain is not created because of existing DNS records in psa database
Unable to set domain name: Unable to create the domain domain.tld because a DNS record pointing to the host domain.tld already exists.
121603 Rsync execution error: Error in rsync protocol data stream (12)
Warning: client "CLIENT_NAME" rsync execution error: Error in rsync protocol data stream (12). Stderr is: rsync: on remote machine: --files-from=-: unknown option rsync error: syntax or usage error (code 1) at main.c(994) rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [receiver] rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(600)