Parallels Virtuozzo Containers for Windows has limitations for application templates.
Template creation is not possible for software with at least one of the following requirements:
- Access to external hosts over the network. This includes any kind of activity – external database connection, network activation, update downloading, etc.
NOTE: However, it is possible to create a template from an application that is continually updated (Firefox, Adobe Reader, etc.) if you prohibit these updates in the Template Creation Wizard.
- Bridged networking mode for the temporary Container (there is no option to create the temporary Container with bridged networking mode in Template Creation Wizard).
- The temporary Container to be joined to Active Directory domain or to another AD functionality, since this needs external network access.
- User interaction in the template pre-install and/or post-install scripts.
- Dependency on network parameters of the temporary Container: IP address, netmask, MAC address, etc.
- Setting custom DACL on registry hives.
- Unsupported drivers to be launched inside Containers.
- Roles or Features to be installed (Windows 2008 and Windows 2008 R2 specific) if such Roles and Features were not installed in Container before applying the template to it.
- Localization of template information is not supported: template information should contain only English characters (ASCII symbols).
If a software does not require any of these items, there should not be problems with template creation.
It is possible that two application templates would conflict to each other, in case if
- Both templates modify the same binary files or registry keys.
- One of templates modifies system files, e.g. brings new NetFramework version. Then other application templates created from base container without these system files may not work properly.
If installation of an application template affects functionality of installed templates, then such template should be created as Application Template Update for installed conflicting template.
The Language\MUI packs installed to application template contain only the files for the roles and features existing in the base container. Therefore, it may be impossible to add a role\feature into container after the Language\MUI pack template is installed. All required roles should be pre-installed into the base container.